As the global aviation industry’s center shifts towards the Asia-Pacific region, Thailand’s aviation sector continues to experience sustained growth.
Total air traffic, local aircraft fleet numbers, movement of cargo and passenger numbers through Thai airports have all risen steadily in recent years. Sector growth forecasts also remain strong, despite airlines and other industry sector participants facing operating margin pressures due to factors including the rising costs of fuel and labour.
Siam Premier’s aviation practice has a deep understanding of the aviation industry, and regularly advises airlines (national, low cost and private carriers) on the full spectrum of matters facing their operations, including aircraft leasing, acquisitions and dispositions, day-to-day regulatory, licensing and corporate matters, and where required, cross-border arbitrations and administrative proceedings, where we act as Thai counsel.
We also advise some of the world’s largest aircraft manufacturers, private aviation companies, financiers and leasing companies on all aspects of aviation transactions including financing, leasing, and the sale and purchase of aircraft and other aviation related assets including helicopters, aircraft engines and components. Where necessary, we also advise aviation companies, financiers and lessors on domestic and cross-border aircraft recovery and repossessions, and related disputes.
Our aviation sector expertise includes advising on:
- Air cargo and transport
- Aircraft acquisitions, financing and leasing
- Aircraft maintenance, repair and overhaul (MRO)
- Aircraft recovery and repossessions
- Airline operations and management
- Air operator certificates (AOCs)
- Airport development and construction
- Aviation regulatory matters, competition and antitrust
- Aviation dispute resolution
- Commercial agreements
- Commercial and private aviation
- Advising a global firm in relation to the leasing of aircrafts and the reviewing of agreements to support the transfer of aircrafts from the client’s company and its affiliates to a newly formed entity.
- Advising a Thai regional airline and a South Korean hospitality company in relation to the bidding of duty free concession at Suvarnabhumi Airport, Chiang Mai Airport, Phuket Airport and Hat Yai Airport.
- Advising and assisting a Japanese airline in setting up the operations in Thailand of a sister low cost airline.
- Advising a Thai carrier as Thai legal counsel in SIAC arbitration proceedings against a service provider in relation to a dispute regarding aircraft maintenance.
- Advising as Thai legal counsel of the Thai national airline including coordinating with its lawyers in various jurisdictions such as the US, the UK, the Netherlands, Australia, New Zealand and Korea in connection with antitrust investigations and proceedings pending in various countries; and coordinating with its lawyers in the UK in respect of a successful civil lawsuit against a Japanese manufacturer in relation to contractual disputes under English proceedings having damages over USD 100 million.
- Advising a US aircraft leasing company in relation to a lease of foreign aircraft involving aircraft registration, mortgage of leased aircraft and aircraft deregistration.
- Advising one of the world’s largest aerospace companies in connection with lease of numerous aircrafts to Thai carriers.
- Advising a Thai carrier in relation to the preparation of U-Tapao International Airport and Eastern Economic Corridor Bidding Project.